Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Ramblings and Shrink Charm Tutorial

I'm addicted to yard sailing and antique stores. Ok, antique stores more than garage sales but they are equally fun. I bought a book about depression glass last night and now I want to collect more glass dishes. Originally, I started going to antique stores and garage sales to look for cool bits and pieces that might work in my mixed-media creations. Now I go hoping to also find a beautiful dish or a piece that I can work into my display. I want my display to be shabby chic because it fits so perfectly with my collage line. It's going to be a creative challenge to work in Colin's lampworking and our glass fusing once we start to have an inventory. The lampworking and fusing colors are much more brilliant than most of my collage.

Speaking of my collage pieces, this was my first piece where I mixed collage and jewelry. It's a 7 Gypsies box pendant with two tiny collages inside. I used trading card protector on the inside since it helps prevent fading from the sun. Each time I wear this piece, someone asks to take a closer look. They always respond the same..."How did you make something so tiny?!?"

I've also been experimenting with shrink plastic over the last few months. One day, I challenged myself to make a piece using shrink plastic that looked like a designer necklace. I used (and highly recommend) Lucky Squirrel (http://luckysquirrel.com/) brand shrink plastic. These charms were made from black shrink plastic which I embossed with a rubber stamp, Krylon metallic marker and Krylon spray. Then I measured out several pieces of sterling and gunmetal chains and added some tiny key charms. Eventually, the entire piece came together. Every time I show it to someone I make them guess what the charms are made of and they always think it's some kind of metal. I really love this piece.

Detailed steps for making metallic shrink plastic charms:
1. Cut out shrink plastic
2. Heat with embossing gun
3. Use a rubber stamp on the plastic while it is warm
4. Once the plastic has cooled, use metallic rub-ons or Krylon marker. Krylon marker is shinier than the rub-ons
5. Go outside an apply first layer of Krylon glossy or matte
6. Wait 15-20 minutes and apply a second layer. I usually apply three layers
7. Allow charms to dry and then add jump rings

2 comments:

Unknown said...

THAT is an awesome tutorial, thank you for sharing. I love when tuttorials are up on the net. KUDOS to you
Ang

Vintage Blue Studio said...

You're very welcome. I plan on adding even more tutorials in the future!

Dian